Department of Computer Application
Message from HOD:
On behalf of my colleagues, I am pleased to welcome you to the Department of Computer Applications. We are actively engaged in an exciting and forward looking programme of teaching and research.
To provide leadership in the field of computer science through MCA degree and other programs resulting in quality software engineers, educators, administrators and researchers by adopting a carefully balanced curriculum embedded with innovative practices.
As the Head of Department, I wish to take this opportunity that I would try my best to maximize student participation in all institutes activities and would keep the administration transparent. For students I would like to say – “Motivation is the fuel of your vehicle of life”. So, always try to keep yourself highly motivated and put your best in any task which is given to you. So, Come and join us in this exciting journey. If you dream and dare, we promise that the Department will nurture and care for you.
The department started offering MCA Programme in 2007 with an initial intake of 90 students and subsequently rose to 96. The department is proud to have a record of almost 100% placement for the last many years. Department started its Ph.D. program in 2010. So far 13 Ph.Ds. have been awarded and 15 PhDs are in progress. Currently there are four sponsored projects undergoing in the department.
Faculty of the department have specialized areas for advanced studies and research in Internet of Things, Big Data Analytics, Cloud & Fog Computing & Security, Cyber Physical System, Network & Information Security, Quantum Computing, Fault detection in Digital Circuits, Knowledge-Based Systems, Semantic Web Technologies, Natural Language Processing, Image Processing, Machine Learning, Wireless Sensor Networks.
The department is well equipped with state-of-the-art laboratories of all major domains of Computer Science with excellent intranet, servers, hardware and software support.
Each year, many students of the department get selected for higher studies in world’s most reputed Universities and Institutes. The department is equally active in research with many quality publications each year in IEEE, Sciencedirect, ACM, Springer, Wiley etc.
The programme will derive strength from:
- Expert faculty, and well established administrative, consultancy, training and placement infrastructure of NIT Kurukshetra.
- Latest IT industry oriented flexible curriculum.
- Specialized training from experts from the leading IT industry.
- Placement assistance from Training and Placement Cell.
News & Events:
- An expert lecture was conducted on the topic “Artificial Intelligence and Data Science” on Saturday 26/11/2022 by Dr. T.V. Vijay Kumar, Professor at School of Computer and Systems Science, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
- A workshop was organized on “Digital Tools” for the students of schools on Saturday 5th November followed by a competition on 26th November 2022. In which students of class 9th to 12th from various schools participated.
- A talk was organized on “Placement Preparation” on Saturday 08/10/2022 by Mr. Pankaj Rawat who is an Alumnus of the Department and currently working at Google.
- Seminar organized by the Department of Computer Applications of NIT Kurukshetra on “Career in Digital Marketing” by Satish Kumar, Head of Business Development at Cal Info on 1st October 2022.
- Seminar organized by the Department of Computer Applications of NIT Kurukshetra on “System Design & Placement Guidance” by Mr. Simrat Pal Singh Bhalla, Software Development Manager at Amazon on 10th September 2022.
- The Department of Computer Applications of NIT Kurukshetra organized a two-day workshop on the occasion of Diamond Jubilee Year as an “Interface with Industry” from 1st – 2nd September 2022. Senior Researchers from TCS, Pune visited the campus for discussion, expert talks, and deliberations on research problems. Researchers from TCS gave an overview of the current research going on at TCS and delivered Talks on Artificial Intelligence and Information extraction in the legal and HR domains. The coordinator of the workshop Dr Sarika Jain and Dr Ashish Chopra emphasized that Artificial Intelligence is the most demanding research area and there are a lot of unsolved problems that need the attention of the researchers and the industry.
- A Workshop organized by the Department of Computer Applications of NIT Kurukshetra on “Role of Computer Science and Indian Knowledge System” in the New National Education policy on 25th-26th May 2022. The main objective of this workshop was to create awareness about the implementation of the National Education Policy 2020 among teachers, students and society. The main objective is to familiarize all concerned to understand its distinctions, curriculum modification, a shift in the pedagogical skills and its implementation in the 360-degree holistic development of all stakeholders.
- Bhartiya bhashaon mein Tritiya Antarrashtriya Vigyaan Sangoshti from 14-15 September 2019
- National IT Challenge for Youth with Disabilities from 25-26 July 2019
- Bhartiya Bhashaon me Diwitiya Antarrashtriya Vigyan Sangoshthi 2018 (21.12.2018)
- National IT Challenge for Youth with Disabilities from 25-26 June 2018
- Global initiative for academic networks (GIAN) course on “Secure Information Technology” (18-23 December 2017)
- Sixth international conference on smart computing and communications systems (ICSCCS) from 07.12.2017 and 08.12.2017
- Global initiative for academic networks (GIAN) course on “Internet of Things for a connected future” (2-6 December 2017)
- First international conference of science in Hindi on 22 August 2017
- Article and thesis writing with LaTex from 28-29 March 2017
- Vittiya saksharta abhiyan (VISAKA) from 12 December 2016 to 12 December 2017
- An expert lecture on “How to accelerate innovation for Engineering & Technology with TRIZ ” was organized by the Department of Computer Applications on 3 October 2016 in the Senate Hall of the Institute. Dr. Lau Siong Hoe, Dean Faculty of Information Sciences & Technology, Multimedia University, Malacca, Malasiya was the main speaker. More than 100 students along with various research scholars of the institute attended the expert talk.
- The department conducted a National level competition on IT Challenge for Youth with Disabilities on 19-20 July 2016. It was a two day competitive program in which disabled people of various categories from different parts of India will participate to show their talent in the field of information technology and e-learning. The event was funded by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities.
- A workshop on “Science in Vedas” was conducted by the Department of Computer Applications on 15th January 2016. The main speaker was Mr. Deepak Karanjikar. Deepak Karanjikar lived in 6 countries and visited 50 + countries in the entire tenure of bright diversified career. He was a well versed actor for 25 years, played several different roles and acted in several plays and movies in English, Marathi and Hindi in India and Abroad. He delivered lectures in various cities and countries of the world on various topics including India 2020, India on global canvass, India –what we have and what we need, World bank, IMF and CIA malice trap, Wall street malpractices, etc.
- The 4th International Conference on Eco-friendly Computing & Communication System (ICECCS-2015) was organized on 7-8 December 2015 by the Department of Computer Applications. The conference brought together experts from the green computing and Communication systems community to discuss the timely issue of green computing and low-energy system design. ICECCS-2015 had a particular theme, “Information Revolution through Green & Eco-friendly Computing. More than 300 papers were received related to different tracks of the conference. The selected papers were published in Elsevier Procedia Computer Science.
- The Department of Computer Applications celebrated Digital India Week from 07-21 August 2015. Digital India is coordinated by DeitY and implemented by the entire Government. A series of activities were conducted by the department including a One day workshop on Android & Web Development. Students from different schools and colleges including Gita Niketan Awasiya Vidyalya; Senior Model school; JMIT Radaur; KITM Kurukshetra; DN College Kurukshetra; University College Kurukshetra; etc participated in the workshop. Based on the workshop, the department conducted various competitions such as Poster Presentation, Digi Art Work, Android Application Development & Website Development. The event was a grand success with more than 150 participants. Prizes were distributed for all the events of the competitions in junior and senior category. The certificates for the workshop & prizes for the various competitions were distributed by the Nodal Officer Dr. (Prof) Ashutosh Kumar Singh. The event coordinators Dr. Kapil and Dr. Sarika Jain tried their best to make the event successful.
- A workshop on Bluemix was organized by the Department of Computer Applications in collaboration with IBM Technologies on 28th Oct 2014 at Jubilee Hall, NIT Kurukshetra. The workshop was successful with 220 participants from all the departments benefiting from the workshop.
- Two-week ISTE workshop on “Computer Programming” from 22nd May to 21 June 2014 under National Mission on Education through ICT (MHRD, Govt of India).
- Prof. Sartaj Sahani, University of Florida delivered a research talk in the field of Data Structure. Prof. Sahni is a well-known researcher/teacher in the field of Data Structure in December 2013. He shared his research experience and future possibilities of research collaboration with the faculty members of the Dept. of Computer Applications, NIT, KKR. Professor Sahni has published around 400 research papers in journals/conferences with eight copyrights, sixteen patents, thirty-six honors and awards. He has vast experience in research supervision and supervised forty-five Ph. D. students
The department has currently 05 Computer labs (03 for students + 01 study room + 01 research lab for PhD students) having approx. 100 number of PCs in total. All labs have fast internet connection along with projector facilities.