Solid state synthesis of new Metal-organic Frameworks and Multinary oxides; Investigations of their physical, electronic and catalytic properties. Click here for details https://avijitnitchem.wixsite.com/solid-state-chem/publications
New project position is available on SERB project (Feb 2023)
Designing new composites for application as Energy generation, supercapacitor and electrode materials
Investigations of multifunctional metal-organic frameworks, coordination polymers and hybrid materials.
Design and synthesis of new triazole and pyrazole based heterocyclic compounds and studies of their biological activity
Crystal engineering and supra-molecular chemistry.
Click on view profile to visit group webpage for research:
Note: Highly motivated UGC-CSIR NET, JRF or GATE qualified candidates can mail me for Ph.D. positions. Applications are invited for CRG project positions on energy related solid materials (Feb 2023)
Guest Scientist at Max-Planck-Institute for Solid State Research, Stuttgart, Germany. (Aug 2011-Nov 2012)
Guest Scientist at Max-Planck Institute for Chemical Physics of Solids, Dresden, Germany (Dec 2012-Dec. 2013)
Assistant Professor at NIT, Kurukshetra from Dec. 2013.
Design of new crystalline solids.
Synthesis of Solid oxides and investigations of their magnetic and catalytic priperties.
Designing new composites for hydrogen evolution, oxygen evolution and oxygen reduction reactions.
Investigations of metal-organic frameworks and related materials.
Biological role of molecular crystals.
Two Patents Granted:
1. A catalyst system for synthesizing ketone from secondary alcohol and a solvent-free process for the same thereof: Inventor: Avijit Kumar Paul and Nikhil Kumar. Indian Patent No: 403303; Granted on: 10.08.2022; Application No: 201811029854
2. A process for the synthesis of a pyrazole derivative: Inventor-Avijit Kumar Paul, Nikhil Kumar and Shubhangi. Indian Patent No: 393741; Granted on: 31.03.2022; Application No: 201911009168
Ph.D. supervised (04 guided, 01 ongoing)
Ms. Poojita (Joined January 2022)
Guided (Ph.D completed): 1. Ms. Naveen Kumari ; 2. Mr. Nikhil Kumar; 3. Mr. R. Kanagaraj; 4. Mr. Tanamay Rom (submitted)
M.tech. supervised (02 guided)
Ms. Neha Pant (2016-17)
Ms. Shubhangi (2018-19)
1. “Rare-earth (Nd and Eu) induced structural transformation and optical properties of brownmillerite-type Sr2ScGaO5 oxide” by Rom, S. Laha, S. Gadiyaram, P. K. Maji and A. K. Paul, J Solid State Chem. 2023, 317, 123696 (IF: 3.65)
2. “Coupling Nonstoichiometric Zn76Co0.24S with NiCo2S4 Composite Nanoflowers for Efficient Synergistic Electrocatalytic Oxygen and Hydrogen Evolution Reaction” by R. Biswas, P. Thakur, I. Ahmed, T. Rom, M. S. Ali, R. A. Patil, B. Kumar, S. Som, D. Chopra, A. K. Paul, Y.-R. Ma and K. K. Haldar, Energy Fuels., 2023, 37, 604-613. (IF: 4.65)
3. “Synthesis, single crystal X-ray, DFT, spectroscopic, molecular docking studies and in vitro biological evaluation of compound N-benzyl-4-(4-chlorophenyl)-2-oxobutanamide” by B. Das, A. TK. Baidya, B. Devi, T. Rom, A. K. Paul, B. Thakur, T. D. Shori, R. Kumar, J. Mol. Str., 2023, 1276, 134782. (IF: 3.84)
1. “Unravelling the Effect of A-site Sr-doping in Double Perovskites Ca2-xSrxScRuO6 (x = 0 & 1): Structural Interpretation and Mechanistic Investigations of Trifunctional Electrocatalytic Effect” by N. Kumar, T. Rom, M. Kumar, T. C. Nagaiah, E. Lee, H. C. Hum, S. H. Choi, S. Rayaprol, V. Siruguri, T. K. Mandal, B. J. Kennedy and A. K. Paul, ACS Appl. Energy Mater., 2022, 5, 11632-11645. (IF: 6.96)
2. “Vanadate Encapsulated Polyoxoborate Framework with [V12B18] Clusters: An Efficient Bifunctional Electrocatalyst for Oxygen and Hydrogen Evolution Reactions” by T. Rom, R. Biswas, K. K. Haldar, U. Saha, S. Rayaprol and A. K. Paul, Crystal Growth & Design. 2022, 22, 4666-4672 (IF: 4.01)
3. “Organoamine Templated Multifunctional Hybrid Metal Phosphonate Frameworks: Promising Candidates for Tailoring Electrochemical Behaviors and Size-Selective Efficient Heterogeneous Lewis Acid Catalysis” by T. Rom, A. Agrawal, S. Sarkar, P. Mahata, A. Kumar and A. K. Paul, Inorg. Chem. 2022, 61, 9580-9594. (IF: 5.44)
4. “Antiferromagnetically coupled double perovskite as an efficient and robust catalyst for visible light driven water splitting at neutral pH” by N. Kumar, T. Rom, B. Mallick, R. Kaushik, A. Ghosh, P. D Babu, S. K. Panda and A. K. Paul, Phys. Chem. Chem Phys. 2022, 24, 5083-5093 (IF: 3.94).
5. “Synthesis, Structure and Topology of Copper (I) Tetrazolate Framework: Facile Approach to Design Multiple Dye Adsorbent with Carbon Composites” by T. Rom, N. Kumar, P. K. Maji and A. K. Paul, ChemistrySelect. 2022, 7, e202103520 (IF: 2.31).
6. “Syntheses, crystal structures, topology and dual electronic behaviors of a family of amine-templated three-dimensional zinc-organophosphonate hybrid solids” by T. Rom, N. Kumar, A. Agrawal, A. Gaur and A. K. Paul, J. Mol. Str., 2022, 1263, 133087. (IF: 3.84)
7. “Assembly of a coordination polymer with sulphate-capped pentamolybdate units and copper: synthesis, structure, magnetic and catalytic studies” by Y. Gupta, Z. Zaidi, S. Mehta, P. R. Chandewar, N. Kumar, A. K. Paul, D. Shee, A. Mondal, L. G. Sorokhaibam and A. Banerjee, Dalton. Trans. 2022, 51, 7255-7267. (IF: 4.57)
8. “KI Assisted Sulfur Activation‐Insertion/De‐nitration Strategy towards Dual C‐S Bond Formation for One‐pot Synthesis of β‐Carboline Tethered 2‐Acylbenzothiophenes” by M. Singh, R. Jamra, A. K. Paul, C. C. Malakar and V. Singh, Asian J. Org. Chem. 2022, 11(2), e202100653. (IF: 3.12)
9. “Tail-approach based design and synthesis of Arylthiazolylhydrazono-1,2,3-triazoles incorporating sulfanilamide and metanilamide as human carbonic anhydrase I, II, IV and IX…”, by A. Kumar, K. Siwach, T. Rom, R. Kumar, A. Angeli, A. K. Paul, C. T. Suparnan, P. K. Sharma, Bioorg. Chem., 2022, 123, 105764. (IF: 5.30)
1. Tanmay Rom and A. K. Paul, “Role of aromatic vs aliphatic amine for variation of structural, electrical and catalytic behaviors in a series of silver phosphonate extended hybrid solids” Dalton Transactions. 2020, 49, 13618-13634. [Impact factor: 4.57]
2. Nikhil Kumar, Tanmay Rom, V. Singh and A. K. Paul, “Transition Metal-ions Regulated Structural and Catalytic Behaviors of Coordination Polymers” Crystal Growth & Design. 2020, 20, 5277-5288. [Impact factor: 4.01]
3. Tanmay Rom, Nikhil Kumar, M. Sharma, A. Gaur and A. K. Paul, “Colossal Dielectric Responses from the Wide Band Gap 2D-Semiconducting Amine Templated Hybrid Framework Materials” Inorg. Chem. 2020, 59, 9465-9470. [Impact factor: 5.44]
4. Nikhil Kumar, Kumari Naveen, Anita Bhatia, SenthilKumar Muthaiah, V. Siruguri, and A. K. Paul, “Solvent and additive free efficient aerobic oxidation of alcohols by perovskites oxide based heterogeneous catalyst” React. Chem. Eng. 2020, 5, 1264-1271. [Impact factor: 5.2]
5. Nikhil Kumar, M. Kumar, T. C. Nagaiah, V. Siruguri, S. Rayaprol, A. K. Yadav, S. N. Jha, D. Bhattacharyya and A. K. Paul, “Investigation of new B-site-disordered perovskite oxide CaLaScRuO6+δ: An efficient oxygen bifunctional electrocatalyst in a highly alkaline medium” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2020, 12, 9190-9200. [Impact factor: 10.38]
6. Nikhil Kumar and A. K. Paul, “Triggering Lewis acidic nature through the variation of coordination environment of Cd-centers in 2D-Coordination Polymers” Inorg. Chem. 2020, 59, 1284-1294. [Impact factor: 5.44]
7. S. Sharma, A. K. Paul and V. Singh, “La(OTf)3-catalysed one-pot synthesis of pyrazole tethered imidazo[1,2- a]azine derivatives and evaluation of their light emitting properties” New J. Chem., 2020, 44, 684-694. [Impact factor: 3.92]
8. R. S. Mathpati, S. Dharavath, Nikhil Kumar, V. D. Ghule, A. K. Paul, R. Tittal, “Design, synthesis and investigations of a series of energetic salts through the variation of amines and concentration of picrate-anion” CrystEngComm., 2020, 22, 4842-4852. [Impact factor: 3.76]
9. Shubhangi and A. K. Paul, ” Getting insights of molecular interactions for potential drug candidates against S. aureus: Pharmacophore modeling, molecular screening and docking studies” J. Mol. Graph. Model., 2020, 94, 107487. [Impact factor: 2.94]
10. S. Sethi, R. Panigrahi, A. K. Paul, B. Mallik, P. Parhi, P. Das and N. Behera, .“Detailed Characterization of Dioxouranium(VI) Complexes with a Symmetrical Tetradentate N2O2-benzil bis(isonicotinoyl hydrazone) Ligand” Dalton Trans. 2020, 49, 10603-10612. [Impact factor: 4.57].
11. M. Singh, Vaishali, A. K. Paul and V. Singh “Isatin as 2-Aminobenzaldehyde Surrogate: Transition Metal-free Efficient Synthesis of 2-(2’-Aminophenyl)benzothiazole Derivatives” Org. & Biomolecular Chemistry 2020, 18, 4459-4469. [Impact factor: 3.55].
12. R. Kanagaraj, A. K. Jana, P. D. Babu, V. Siruguri, P. K. Maji, S. K. Panda and A. K. Paul, “Template-directed hierarchical copper(II)-organophosphonate compounds: Syntheses, crystal structures, magnetic and luminescence properties“ J. Mol. Str., 2020, 1224,129027. [Impact factor: 3.84]
13. L. Kumar, K. Lal, P. Yadav, A. Kumar and A. K. Paul, “Synthesis, characterization, α-glucosidase inhibiton and molecular modeling studies of some pyrazoline-1H-1,2,3-triazole hybrids” J. Mol. Str., 2020, 1216, 128253. [Impact factor: 3.84]
14. M. Singh, A. K. Paul and V. Singh “A Transition Metal-free Approach towards Regioselective Synthesis of β-Carboline Tethered Pyrroles and 2,3-Dihydro-1H-pyrroles” New J. Chem., 2020, 44, 12370-12383. [Impact factor: 3.92]
15. Kumari Naveen, Nikhil Kumar, S. Rani, T. K. Mandal, A. Gaur, P. D. Babu, V, Siruguri, P. K. Maji, S. Kanungo and A. K. Paul, “Investigation of multiferroic behaviour at room temperature in Bi-induced orthoferrite: combined experimental and first principles studies” Bull. Mater. Sci., 2020, 43, 196. [Impact factor: 1.88]
1. V. Kumar, D. Singh, A. K. Paul, R. Shrivastava and V. Singh, “ZnO-NP assisted synthesis of fluorescent β-carboline C-1 tethered benzimidazole/ benzothiazole/benzoxazole derivatives and assessment of their photophysical properties” New J. Chem., 2019, 43, 18304-18315. [Impact factor: 3.92]
2. Shubhangi, Nikhil Kumar, R. Kanagaraj, K. Lal and A. K. Paul, “Modeling molecular interactions of propounded pyrazole based drug candidates against bacterial DNA gyrase: Validation by syntheses and biological studies” J. Mol. Str., 2019, 1195, 435-450. [Impact factor: 3.84]
3. Kumari Naveen, Nikhil Kumar, T. K. Mandal, P. D. Babu, V. Siruguri, P. K. Maji and A. K. Paul, “Multiferroicbehaviour in B-site Cr-doped hexagonal YInO3 perovskites: Synthesis, structure and properties” J. Mol. Str., 2019, 1185, 432-439. [Impact factor: 3.84]
4. A. K. Paul and R. Kanagaraj, “Synthesis, Characterizations and Crystal Structure Analysis of New Mixed Metal SulfateNaPr(SO4)2?H2O” J. Str. Chem., 2019, 60(3), 495-501. [Impact factor: 1.01]
1. Kumari Naveen, M. Reehuis, P. Adler, P. Pattison, Andreas Hoser, T. K. Mandal, U. Arjun, P. Mukharjee, R. Nath, C. Felser and A. K. Paul, “Reentrant Magnetism at the Borderline between Long-Range Antiferromagnetic Order and Spin-Glass Behavior in the B-site Disordered Perovskite System Ca2-xSrxFeRuO6” Phys. Rev. B., 2018, 98, 224423. [Impact factor: 4.04]
2. A. K. Paul, Kumari Naveen, Nikhil Kumar, R. Kanagaraj, V. M. Vidya, Tanmay Rom, “First example of a nonanuclear silver sulfate hybrid cluster: Green approach for synthesis of lewis acid catalyst” Crystal Growth & Design., 2018, 18, 6411-6416. [Impact factor: 4.15]
3. P. Yadav, K. Lal, L. Kumar, A. Kumar, A. Kumar, R. Kumar, A. K. Paul, A. Kumar, “Synthesis, crystal structure and antimicrobial potential of some fluorinated chalcone-1,2,3-triazole conjugates” Eur. J. Med. Chem., 2018, 155, 263-274. [Impact factor: 7.09]
4. P. Mani, K. M. Ranjith, S. Mandal, A. K. Paul, “Comparative studies on optical and electronic behavior of lanthanide-based coordination polymers: Synthesis, structure, absorption-emission and magnetic properties” J. Chem. Sci., 2018, 130, 60(1-9). [[Impact factor: 1.49]
5. A. K. Paul, “Synthesis, structure and topological analysis of glycine templated highly stable cadmium sulfate framework: A New Lewis Acid catalyst” J. Mol Str., 2018, 1157, 672-678. [Impact factor: 3.84]
6. A. K. Paul, “Crystal structure of bis(piperazin-1-ium-?N4)-bis(thiosulfato-?S) zinc(II) dihydrate” ActaCryst., 2018, E74, 176-179.
7. K. Lal, P. Yadav, A. Kumar, A. Kumar, A. K. Paul, “Design, synthesis, characterization, antimicrobial evaluation and molecular modeling studies of some dehydroacetic acid-chalcone-1,2,3-triazole hybrids” Bioorganic Chemistry, 2018, 77, 236-244. [Impact factor: 5.30]
8. A. K. Paul, “Synthesis and crystal structure of a new polymorph of potassium europium(III) bis(sulfate) monohydrate, KEu(SO4)2?H2O” ActaCryst., 2018, E74, 242-245.
A. K. Paul, R. Kanagaraj, Neha Pant, Kumari Naveen, “Rare examples of amine-templated organophosphonate open-framework compounds: Combined role of metal and amine for structure building” Crystal Growth & Design., 2017, 17, 5620-5624. [Impact factor: 4.15]
A. K. Paul, R. Kanagaraj, A. K. Jana, P. K. Maji, “Novel amine templated three-dimensional zinc-organophosphonates with variable pore-openings” CrystEngComm., 2017, 19, 6425-6435. [Impact factor: 3.38]
A. K. Paul, “Tuning of coordination behavior of thiosulfate ion by organic linkers in cadmium thiosulfate compounds” J. Mol. Str., 2016, 1125, 696-704. [Impact factor: 2.46]
R. C. Williams, F. Xiao, I. O. Thomas, S. J. Clark, T. Lancaster, G. A. Cornish, S. J. Blundell, W. Hayes, A. K. Paul, C. Felser, M. Jansen, “Muon-spin relaxation study of the double perovskite insulators Sr2BOsO6 (B = Fe, Y, In)” J. Phys.: Condens. Matter, 2016, 28, 076001(1-9). [Impact factor: 2.71]
A. K. Paul, A. Sarapulova, P. Adler, M. Reehuis, S. Kanungo, M. Reehuis, D. Mikhailova, W. Schnelle, Z. Hu, V. Siruguri, S. Rayaprol, B. Yan, C. Felser, L. H. Tjeng, M. Jansen, “Magnetically Frustrated Double Perovskites: Synthesis, Structural Properties and Magnetic Order of Sr2BOsO6 (B = Y, In, Sc)” Z. Anorg. Allg. Chem., 2015, 641, 197-205. [Impact factor: 1.34]
B. Yan, A. K. Paul, S. Kanungo, M. Reehuis, A. Hoser, D. M. Toebbens, W. Schnelle, R. C. Williams, T. Lancaster, F, Xiao, J. S. Moeller, S. J. Blundell, W. Hayes, C. Felser, M. Jansen, “Latice-Site-Specific Spin-Glass behavior in a Geometrically Frustrated Oxide” Phys. Rev. Lett. 2014, 112, 147202(1-6). [Impact factor: 9.22]
P. Adler, V. Ksenofontov, A. K. Paul, M. Reehuis, B. Yan, M. Jansen, C. Felser, “Magnetic Phase Transitions and Iron Valence in Double Perovskite Sr2FeOsO6” Hyperfine Interact., 2014, 226, 289-297. [Impact factor: 0.79]
A. K. Paul, M. Reehuis, V. Ksenofontov, B. Yan, A. Hoser, D. M. Tobbens, P. M. Abdala, P. Adler, M. Jansen, C. Felser, “Lattice Instability and Competing Spin Structures in the Double Perovskite Insulator Sr2FeOsO6” Phys. Rev. Lett. 2013, 111, 167205(1-5). [Impact factor: 9.22]
A. K. Paul, Martin Jansen, Binghai Yan, Claudia Felser, Manfred Reehuis, “Synthesis, Crystal structure and Physical Properties of New Double Perovskite Sr2FeOsO6” Inorg. Chem., 2013, 52, 6713-6719. [Impact factor: 4.85]
A. K. Paul, Manfred Reehuis, Claudia Felser, P. M. Abdala, Martin Jansen, “Synthesis, Crystal structure, and Properties of ordered Double Perovskite Sr2CoOsO6” Z. Anorg. Allg. Chem., 2013, 639, 2421-2425. [Impact factor: 1.34]
A. K. Paul, R. Karthik, S. Natarajan, “Synthesis, Structure, Photochemical [2+2] Cycloaddition, Transformation and Photocatalytic Studies in a Family of Inorganic-Organic Hybrid Cadmium Thiosulfate Compounds” Crystal Growth & Design., 2011, 11, 5741-5749. [Impact factor: 4.15]
V. T. Hatwar, A. K. Paul, S. Natarajan, T. N. Guru Row “Charge Density Analysis of Pentaborate Ion in an Ammonium Borate: Towards the Understanding of Topological Features in Borate Minerals”. Journal of Physical Chemistry A., 2011, 115, 12818-12825. [Impact factor: 2.86]
M. V. Lucky, S, Sivakumar, M. L. P.Reddy, A. K. Paul, S. Natarajan, “Lanthanide Luminescent Coordination Polymer Constructed from Unsymmetrical Dinuclear Building Blocks: Novel Structure Evolution from One-Dimensional Helical Chains to Two-Dimensional Architectures” Crystal Growth & Design., 2011, 11, 857-864. [Impact factor: 4.15]
A. K. Paul, U. Sanyal, S. Natarajan, “Use of Polyazaheterocycles in the Assembly of New Cadmium Sulfate Frameworks: Synthesis, Structure and Properties” Crystal Growth & Design., 2010, 10, 4161-4175. [Impact factor: 4.15]
A. K. Paul, S. Natarajan, “Amine-Templated Aluminoborates Exhibiting Graphite and Diamond Nets” Crystal Growth & Design., 2010, 10, 765-774. [Impact factor: 4.15]
A. K. Paul, K. Sachidananda, S. Natarajan, “[B4O9H2] Cyclic Borate Units as the Building Units in a Family of Zinc Borate Structures” Crystal Growth & Design., 2010, 10, 456-464. [Impact factor: 4.15]
A. K. Paul, M. Prabu, G. Madras, S. Natarajan, “Effect of Metal Ion Doping on the Photocatalytic Activity of Aluminophosphates” J. Chem. Sci. 2010, 122, 771-785. [Impact factor: 1.49]
A. K. Paul, G. Madras, S. Natarajan, “Synthesis, structure, transformation studies and catalytic properties of open-framework cadmium thiosulfate compounds” Dalton Trans., 2010, 39, 2263-2279. [Impact factor: 4.05]
A. K. Paul, G. Madras, S. Natarajan, “Adsorption-desorption and photocatalytic properties of inorganic-organic hybrid cadmium thiosulfate compounds” Phys.Chem. Chem. Phys., 2009, 11, 11285-11296. [Impact factor: 3.56]
A. K. Paul, G. Madras, S. Natarajan, “The illustrative use of thiosulfate in the formation of new three-dimensional hybrid structures” CrystEngComm., 2009, 11, 55-57. [Impact factor: 3.38]
S. Natarajan, S. Mandal, P. Mahata, V. K. Rao, P. Ramaswamy, A. Banerjee, A. K. Paul, K. V. Ramya, “The Use of Hydrothermal Methods in the Synthesis of Novel Open-Framework Materials” J. Chem. Sci. 2006, 118, 525-536. [Impact factor: 1.49]
A. K. Paul and Nikhil Kumar. “A catalyst system for synthesizing ketone from secondary alcohol and a solvent-free process for the same thereof”. Indian Patent Application No. 201811029854.
A. K. Paul, Nikhil Kumar and Shubhangi. “A process for the synthesis of a pyrazole derivative” Indian Patent Application No. 201911009168.
Details of Two ongoing and one completed R&D Projects
“New magnetic materials applicable as colored pigments and catalysts” (Funding amount: 35 Lakhs) approved by DST under INSPIRE Faculty Award Scheme. Started Project from Jan-2015 (6-years duration).
“Multifunctional metal-organic construction by new organic ligands with mixed N-/O- donors” (Funding amount: 29.16 Lakhs) funded by SERB. Started Project from Sep-2015 (3 years duration, completed).
“Detailed investigations on crystal and magnetic structures of frustrated double perovskites and their lanthanum composites” (Funding amount: 12.27 Lakhs) funded by UGC-DAE-CSR. Started Project from Jan-2017 (4 years duration).
Awards & Recognitions
Best Faculty Award received from NIT-Kurukshetra in the Academic Year 2016-2017.
Best Oral Presentation Award received from Himachal Science Congress Association in International Conference 2016.
Bharat Jyoti Excellence Pride of Nation Awardin Global Achievers Conference (January 2016)
INSPIRE Faculty Award in July 2014 (From DST, India)
Recipient of the ‘Max-Planck-Gesellschaft ein Fortbildungs’ stipend in December 2012.
Recipient of the ‘Max-Planck-Gesellschaft ein Fortbildungs’ stipend in August 2011.
Recipient of the Junior Research Fellowship from Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), Government of India, 2005.
Selected for National Scholarship by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India on the results of 10th & 12th standard examination.
Dr. Pradip K. Maji & Dr. Tapas K. Mandal, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Roorkee.
Dr. Tharamani C. Nagaiah, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Ropar, Punjab.
Dr. Virendra Singh, Central University of Punjab, Bhatinda.
Dr. Kashmiri Lal, Guru Jambheshwar University of Science & Technology, Hisar, Haryana.
Dr. Sudipta Kanungo, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Goa.
Dr. Vasudeva Siruguri, DAE-Mumbai, BARC-Campus.
Max-Planck-Institute for Chemical Physics of Solids, Dresden, Germany.
Note: Highly motivated UGC-CSIR NET, JRF or GATE qualified candidates can mail me for Ph.D. positions.