Area of Interest:
Designation: Assistant Professor
Department: Computer Engg
Qualification: Ph.D(NIT Kurukshetra), M.Tech (SC&SS, JNU, New Delhi), BTech (UIT, RGPV (Bhopal)
Address: Computer Engineering Department, NIT Kurukshetra, Haryana-136119, India
Phone No: 01744-233530, 88160 86589
Teaching Interest: Database Systems, Information Science (Retrieval & Web Search), Data Science for Fourth Paradigm Computing (Big Data Analytics, etc).
: Neural Models for Interactive Information Search, Exploratory Data Analytics and Human-Information-Interaction (HII), Data Valuation for AI & ML, Soft Data Analytics (Sentiment, Micro-Emotions/Micro-expression), Social Network Science & Applications of ML/DL & AI for real-world Scenarios.
Access ‘E-content’ (recorded lectures of two courses), ‘Information Retrieval & Web Search‘ and‘ Database Systems‘.
> Prospective PhD aspirants may share their Brief Bio with ‘Research Interest’ for the Session 2022-23, on email@example.com.
> Upcoming Development Programmes:
>> 05 Days STC on ‘Medical Image Processing & Analysis (MIPA)‘, during 22-26 Feb 2023, at Computer Engg Dept., NIT Kurukshetra, IND.
>> 05 Days STC on ‘Data Science for Intelligent System Design (DSISD)‘, during 05-09 June at Computer Engg Dept., NIT Kurukshetra, IND.
(last updt: 27 Dec’22)
>Experience : Industry: 03 Years (between 2009- 2012) & Academia:10 Years (2012 Onwards
>Research Publications:: 65 (Journals- 23 & Int. Conf.’s – 42, as of Dec 2022)
>> Best-5 Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
- Chandradeep Kumar, Vikram Singh, ‘Improving Hamming-Distance Computation for Adaptive Similarity Search Approach’, Int. J. of Intelligent Information Technologies (IJIIT), Dec 2021.
- Vikram Singh, ‘Progressive Intent Model for Similarity Search’, In IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 2020 (Accepted).
- Tirthankar Barik, Vikram Singh, ‘AQtpUIR: Adaptive query term proximity based user Information Retrieval’. Journal of Information and Optimization Sciences, 1-19,2020.
- Vikram Singh, ‘Progressive Intent Modeling for Exploratory Search’, In ACM Transactions on Information System (TOIS), 38(4),2020 (Accepted).
- Vikram Singh, ‘Correlating ‘Pre-search’ and ‘In-search’ Context to Predict Search Intent for Exploratory Search’, Journal of Business Intelligence & Data Mining,18 (04), 2020 (Accepted).
- Vikram Singh, ‘An Overview of User-Interactions in Exploratory Search: Theoretical Foundations, Techniques, and Research Issues’, Journal of Business Information System, 30(3).
>> Best-5 Int. Conference/Workshop Publications
- Vikram Singh, “A progressive query materialization for interactive data exploration.” In Proceeding of 1st Int. Workshop, Social Data Analytics and Management (SoDAM’2016) Co-located at 44th Very Large Database (VLDB’2016), pp. 1-10. 2016.
- Vishal Sheokhand and Vikram Singh. “Best effort query answering in dataspaces on unstructured data.” In Proceeding of Int. Conf. on Management of Data (ACM COMAD), pp. 155-159. ACM, 2016.
- Vikram Singh & Mayank Dave. “Improving Result Diversity Using Query Term Proximity in Exploratory Search.” In Proceeding of Int. Conf. on Big Data Analytics (BDA), pp. 67-87. Springer, Cham, 2019.
- Jay Patel and Vikram Singh. “Query morphing: A proximity-based approach for data exploration and query reformulation.” In Proceeding of Int. Conf. on Mining Intelligence and Knowledge Exploration(MIKE’2017), pp. 261-273. Springer, Cham, 2017.
- Pawan K., Reuben A. Vikram Singh, ‘ Extracting Emotion Quotient of Information Virality over Twitter Data’. In Proceedings of 18th Int. Conf. on Distributed Computing and Technologies (ICDCIT), Jan 2022, Springer Nature.
(visit the Google Scholar page for a detailed list).
- Paper titled ‘Evaluating Models for Better Life Expectancy Prediction‘ was awarded as ‘Best Paper Award‘ (in Data Analytics Category)at Int. Conf. on Computational Intelligence and Data Analytics (ICCIDA), Jan 08-09, 2022, Hyderabad, India.
- Paper titled ‘Query Morphing: A Proximity-Based Approach for Data Exploration and Query Reformulation‘ was awarded as ‘Best Student Paper‘ at 5th Int. Conf. on Mining Intelligence and Knowledge Exploration (MIKE’2017), Dec 13-15, 2017, IDBRT, Hyderabad, India.
- Paper titled ‘Multi-objective Parametric Query Optimization for Distributed Database Systems‘ awarded as ‘Innovative Design for Computing‘ at 5th Int. Conf. on Soft Computing for Problem Solving (SocProS’2015) at IIT Roorkee (Saharanpur Campus), India
- Paper titled ‘Best-effort Query Answering in DataSpaces on Unstrcurted Data‘, awarded as ‘Best Student Paper’, at 11th Int. Conf. on Computing, Communication, and Automation (ICCCA’2016), April 29-30, 2016.
- Paper titled ‘Generating Optimal Query Plans for Distributed Query Processing using Teacher-Learner Based Optimization‘ was awarded as ‘Best Paper Award’ at 11th Int. Conf. On Data Mining and Warehousing (ICDMW at IMCIP’2015), Bangalore, India.
- Paper titled ‘Efficient Algorithm for Web Search Query Reforumaltion Using Genetic Algorithm’ awarded ‘Best Student Paper’ in 2nd Int. Conf. on Computational Intelligence in Data Mining (ICCIDM’2015) at RIT Berhampur, India, Dec 05-06 2015.
>> Recognitions (05):
- Recognized with ‘Special Contribution‘, during 1st Toyhackthon, organized by MHRD (GoI), Feb 2021’.
- Recognized with ‘Excellence in Digital Initiative for Futuristic Library‘, during 29th National Conference on ‘Digital Digital Revolution and Challenges for Libraries‘, organized by HLA with NIT Kurukshetra, Aug 12-13, 2017, for the successful implementation of IDR, (for National Digital Library (an MHRD GOI Initiative)’.
- MTech Scholar (Vikas Mishra) thesis on ‘Multi-Objective Parametric Query Optimization of Distributed Database’, is selected in the ‘Student Symposium’ at 4rth International Conf. on Big Data Analytics (BDA’2015) at NIT Warangal, India.
- MTech Scholar (Balwinder Saini) thesis on ‘Probabilistic Information Model using Vectors for Information Retrieval Systems‘ is selected as study material in Central Library, JNU, New Delhi,
- Recognized with ‘Excellence in Service‘, during Dec 2011, at MSIL, India, for the successful implementation of ‘eBizNet Solutions’.
> Development Activities Conducted::
>> Conf./FDP/STC/STTP Organized (11):
- Online Workshop on ‘NPTEL Inititaives’, in association with NPTEL, IIT Chennai & Local Chapter, on 08-09 Dec, 2021, at NIT Kurukshetra
- Organized AICTE ATAL sponsored 05 FDP on ‘Machine Intelligence for Information Retrieval’, November 04-08, 2020, at Comp. Engg. Dept., NIT Kurukshetra.
- Organized 2nd TEQIP-III sponsored 05 days FDP on ‘Designing Pedagogies for Online Teaching & Learning, September 23-27, 2020, NIT Kurukshetra & ECB Bikaner.
- Organized TEQIP-III sponsored 05 days FDP on ‘Designing Pedagogies for Online Teaching & Learning, August 10-14 2020, at Comp. Engg. Dept, NIT Kurukshetra.
- Organized TEQIP-III sponsored 05 days STTP on ‘Data Science & Learning Systems for Engineering Research & Design, June 24-30 2020, Jointly with ECB Bikaner.
- Organized TEQIP-III sponsored 05 days STTP on ‘Design & Development of MOOCs‘, Jan 02-06 2020, at Comp. Engg. Dept., NIT Kurukshetra
- Organized 1st Springer Int. Conf. on Machine Learning, Image Processing, Network Security & Data Sciences (MIND’2019), March 03-05 2019, at Comp.Engg. Dept., NIT Kurukshetra, India
- Organized 03 Days FDP on ‘Agile Methodology‘,(in collaboration with Infosys Ltd) April 03-05, 2015, at Comp. Engg. Dept., NIT Kurukshetra.
- Organized 2nd Int. Workshop on Big Data Analytics(WBDA’17), March 17-19, 2017, School of Computer & Systems Sciences, JNU, New Delhi.
- Organized, 1st Int. Workshop on Big Data Analytics (WBDA’15), Dec 20-23, 2015, School of Computer & Systems Sciences, JNU, New Delhi
- Organized National Conference on ‘Methods and Modeling in Computing’, Dec 15-17, 2013, School of Computer & Systems Sciences. JNU, New Delhi.
- >> Expert Lectures Delivered (25):
- Tutorial on ‘AIM for IDEA: An Adaptive Intent Modeling for Interactive Data Exploration and Analysis, co-located to 9th int. Conference on Big Data Analytics (BDA 2021), 15-18 Dec 2021, IIIT Allahabad (UP), India.
- Expert Talk on ‘Modeling Swarm Behaviour ‘Soft Data’ for AI-enabled System Design‘, AICTE-ATAL Sponsored FDP on “Bio-inspired Algorithms and Optimization Tech. for Emerging Research Areas in Computer Applications”, 10 Dec 2021, Dept. of Computer Sci. & Engg., Netaji Subhash Institute of Technology (NSIT), New Delhi, India
- Expert Talk on ‘Modeling Human Intelligence: A paradigm Shift in Human-Centric Information System Design’, AICT-ISTE Sponsored Workshop on “AI & ML using Python”, 09 Dec 2021, Dept. of Computer Application, ECB, Bikaner.
- Expert Talk on ‘Leveraging Soft Data Intelligence: A futuristic AI-enabled System Design Strategy‘, AICTE ATAL Sponsored FDP, on ‘AI & Its application for Research & Development, 22-26 Nov 2021’CSIR AMPRI (Bhopal), India.
- Expert talk on ‘Designing Modern Information Search Systems’, on 17 Nov 2021, SAGE University, Bhopal (MP), India.
- Demonstration Session of ‘Samarth ERP Implementation and Modules’, with the University of Ladakh, 12 Oct 2021.
- Expert lecture on “Artificial Intelligence” on ‘How to build a Mathematical Model for Computer Science Research Problem‘, Centre of Excellence for Intelligent Human-Computer Interaction, CMR Institute Technology, Bengaluru, India, 25 Aug 2021.
- Keynote Talk on “Context-Aware Information Retrieval Framework for Modern Applications“, during 1 Int. Conf. on Innovations in Computer & Information Science (ICICIS 2021), 27-29 Aug 2021.
- Demonstration Session of ‘Samarth ERP Implementation and Modules for NIT KKR’, with NIT Delhi, 12 April 2021.
- Expert lecture on AICTE sponsored FDP on “Artificial Intelligence” on ‘The Fourth Paradigm: role of Visualization for user-centric Data Discovery‘, CSIR AMPRI, Bhopal (MP), 05-09 July 2020
- Expert lecture on “Modelling Human Interactions on Information Visuals: A paradigm shift in Interactive Information Search (‘as a use-case of Human-Centric Computing’)“, during AICTE ATAL sponsored FDP on ‘Human-Centred Computing (HCC)’, 15-19 Feb 2021 at Gauhati University, India.
- Expert lecture on ‘Modelling Human Information Interactions on Information Visuals: A new paradigm for Information Seeking’, during AICTE ATAL sponsored FDP on ‘Human-Centred Computing (HCC)’, 01-06 Feb 2021 at CMR Institute of Technology, Bengaluru.
- Demonstration Session of ‘Samarth ERP Implementation and Modules for NIT KKR’, wit NIT Jaipur, 02 Feb 2021.
- Expert lecture on ‘Modeling Human Intelligence for futuristic AI-enabled Information System’, during AICTE ATAL, sponsored FDP on ‘Artificial Intelligence’, 16-20 Nov 2020 at CSIR AMPRI, Bhopal (MP), India.
- Demonstration Session of ‘Samarth ERP Implementation and Modules for NIT KKR‘, with NIT Silchar, 02 Jan 2021.
- Expert Lecture delivered on ‘Paradigm Shift in Information Search: Modeling User’s Behaviour & Modelling User-Centric Relevance Measures’ during 05-day AICTE ATAL sponsored FDP ‘Machine Intelligence for Information Retrieval‘ Computer Engg. Dept., NIT Kurukshetra, 04-08 Nov 2020.
- Expert Lecture delivered on ‘Effective Teacher-Learner Interactions during Online Teaching: using Kahoot, Mentimeters, etc’, during FDP on “Effective Teaching, at IIT KGP, 29 Oct 2020.
- Expert Lecture delivered on ‘Role of Screencasting for Educational video’, during 05 days FDP “Design Pedagogies for Online Teaching & Learning” jointly organized by NIT Kurukshetra & ECB Bikaner, India, 23-27 Sept 2020.
- Expert Lecture delivered on ‘Progressive Assessment & Grading using e-assessment tools & platform for Online classroom activities’, during 3rd 05 days FDP “How to teach Online‘, at IIM Indore, 21-25 Sept 2020.
- Expert Lecture delivered on ‘An Exploratory view: Role of AI for Electrical Engineering” during 05 days STC “Next Generation Computing: IoT, AI Blockchain in Energy Sector‘ at College of Engineering Roorkee, Roorkee, India, 21-25 Sept 2020.
- Expert Lecture delivered on ‘Role of e-assessment for Online classroom activities’, during 1st 05 days FDP “How to teach Online”, at IIM Indore, 27-31 August 2020.
- Expert Lecture delivered on ‘Screen-casting for Online Teaching & Learning” during 05 days FDP on “Assisting Technologies for Online Teaching & Learning at JIIT Noida (UP), India, 27-31 July 2020.
- Expert Lecture delivered on ‘Information Visualization support for User-centric IR: Revisiting Taxonomy, Exploring Advancements & Futuristic Paths‘, during 05 days National Workshop on “Data Science, Image Processing and Deep Learning Applications’ at CSE Dept, UIT, BU (Bhopal), 11-16 June 2020.
- Expert Lecture delivered on ‘Paradigm Shift in Information Retrieval: Exploring the Role of User Search Intent & Context” during 05 days National Workshop on “Data Science, Image Processing and Deep Learning Applications” at CSE Dept, UIT, BU (Bhopal), 11-16 June 2020.
- Keynote Talk on ‘Data-Value for AI & Machine Learning Models‘, Dec 17-20, 2019
>Guidance & Supervision: :
>> PhD Thesis Supervised (01):
- Mr. Mohd. Ilyas, ‘Intent Modeling for Information Search and Recommendation’ CAY 2022-23 [ongoing].
>> M.Tech Dissertations Supervised (17):
- Sohan Kumar, ‘Handling Cold Start on Adaptive Music Recommdetations’, CAY 2021-22 [ongoing]
- Devanand Gamboir, ‘Estimation of Socialiness on Twitter, CAY 2021-22 [ongoing]
- Harshal A., ‘Topic Evolution Model for Interactive Information Search‘, ACY 2021-22.
- Arbaz Khan, ‘GitHub API Mining: An Automated Corpus Integration & Visualization Framework‘, ACY 2021-22.
- Kuldeep Singh, ‘Multimodal Emotion Recognition‘, ACY 2021-22.
- Chandradeep Kumar, ‘Efficient Hamming-Space-Based Similarity Search Strategies‘, ACY 2020-21.
- Neha Verma, ‘An Adaptive Query-Based Framework for Data Valuation‘, ACY 2020-21.
- Tirthankar Barik, ‘Modeling Query Term Proximity for User-Centric Data Exploration‘, ACY 2019-20.
- Samit Kumar, ‘Data Exploration using Negation Queries‘ ACY 2018-19.
- Jay Patel, ‘Query Morphing: Proximity-driven Data Exploration Approach‘, ACY 2017-18.
- Vaibhav Kumar, ‘Automatic Intent Modeling for Data Exploration‘, ACY 2017-18.
- Archana Kumari, ‘Guiding the User: ‘Feedback-driven Result Ranking and Query Refinement for Data Exploration‘, ACY 2016-17
- Komal Singh, ‘Answering Graph Pattern Query using Incremental Views‘, ACY 2015-16
- Vishal Sheo, ‘Best-Effort Query Answering in Dataspaces on Unstructured Data‘, ACY 2015-16.
- Vikas Mishra,’ Multi-Objective Parametric Query Optimization of Distributed Database‘, ACY 2014-15.
- Balwinder Saini, ‘Probabilistic Information Model using Vectors for Information Retrieval Systems‘, ACY 2013-14.
- Satish Kumar,’ Ontology Matching and Mapping using Document Vectors‘, ACY 2013-14.
>> B.Tech Project Guided & Mentored (35 & 30):
- Total 45 Project Groups (with at least 03 students project group) of NIT Kurukshetra.
- 12 Project Groups (at least 02 students) of outside Institutions, e.g. IIT Delhi, IIT Goa, NIT Surathkal, etc.
- Mentored 50 Students for Internships & 12 Students for Project work.
>Institutional & Departmental Responsibility::
- Faculty Incharge (Examination), Sep 2021 (onwards).
- Nodal Officer (ERP SAMARTH, NIT Kurukshetra), April 2020 to Dec 2022
- SPOC (ERP SAMARTH, NIT Kurukshetra), April 2020 to Dec 2022
- Prof-in-Charge (Institutional Data Repository (IDR)), for NDL Project of MHRD, IND, Sept 2016 (onwards).
- SPOC (NPTEL, Local Chapter), Oct 2018 (onwards).
- Member of BOS (Computer Engg Dept.), Oct 2021 (onwards).
- Member of DAC (Computer Engg Dept.), Jan 2021 (onwards).
- Member of DPC (Computer Engg Dept.), Jan 2019 (onwards).
- Member of UG Scheme Revision Committee (Computer Engg Dept.), June 2022 (onwards).
- Member of PG Scheme Revision Committee (Computer Engg Dept.), June 2022 (onwards).
- Designated as Institute’s ‘Liaison Officer’ (OBC Category), from Feb 2014 to June 2019.
- Member of Institute’s Library Committee, July 2013 to June 2019.
- Member of Institute’s Incubation & Innovation Club, Aug 2015 to Sep 2017.
- Technical Programme Committee (TPC) for Int. conference: BDA2021, CVMI2022, IHC2021, MIKE2019, MIND2020, etc.
- Member of MTech Dissertation Evaluation Committees: NITs & IIITs (2021, 2020, 2019)
- Member of BTech Evaluation Committees: Central Univesity & State Universities (2021, 2020, 2019)
- Participated 4rth ISEA-ISEAP 2020, 27-01 March 2020, at IIT Guwahati, India.
- Facilitated at NPTEL SPOC Workshop, 01 Feb 2020, IIT Kanpur (Extension Campus).
- Member of NBA Committee, (for Visit to ECB, Bikaner), Sept 2019.
- Established a public library, Coordination with MPLAD at GHSS, Ramasthan, Satna(MP), 2015
- Active volunteer at NGO ‘SMILE’ and ‘I-Saksham’, Since 2013
- Active Member of ‘Teach India’ Campaign, Since 2010